Looking After You

Looking After You


For many it will be a long journey back to normality. During this time it is extra important that you look after yourself and your wellbeing. Check out the Farmstrong website for skills and resources on how to live well, farm well and get the most out of life.

Stress counselling and support

It’s completely normal for you and your family to be emotionally and physically drained by the earthquakes. You’re not alone in feeling this way, and you don’t have to cope on your own. Friends and family members not affected by the event can help you cope with the added stress. Local qualified and experienced counsellors are also available free of charge.

Call the Earthquake Support Line on 0800 777 846

Support for rural communities

Local councils are providing assistance to rural communities affected by this event. For queries related to road access or telecommunication issues, contact your local Civil Defence team at your council.

Rural Assistance Payments are available through Work and Income to help farming families who are temporarily unable to produce sufficient income to meet essential basic living costs. The level of assistance is usually equivalent to the Jobseeker Support benefit.

Rural Support Trusts provide assistance and support to the rural community in times of hardship. To contact your local Rural Support Trust coordinator for information about assistance and support on call 0800 RURAL HELP (0800 787 254) or visit www.rural-support.org.nz

For support for affected farmers you can contact Federated Farmers on 0800 327 646.

Ministry for Primary Industries 0800 00 83 33 www.mpi.govt.nz


Support for Iwi, hapū and whānau Māori

Te Puni Kōkiri provides advice and support for whānau and friends affected by the Kaikoura earthquakes.  To find out more visit www.tpk.govt.nz or contact the local office in your area

Lower Hutt - 04 570 3180 email: tpk.tetaihauauru@tpk.govt.nz

Nelson - 03 539 0687 email:  tpk.tetaihauauru@tpk.govt.nz

Christchurch - 0800 875 839 email:  tpk.te-waipounamu@tpk.govt.nz


In an emergency you should always call 111.

It is normal to feel upset after an earthquake. If you need support or advice or have feelings of anxiety, stress, prolonged fear, hopelessness or anger and need to talk with someone then phone the Earthquake Support Line.

For health advice, call your GP or Healthline to talk to a registered nurse.

Earthquake Support Line 0800 777 846 (24/7)

Healthline 0800 611 116 (24/7)

Kaikoura Hospital and Medical Centre (Deal Street) 03 319 3500

Amuri Community Health Centre (Rotherham) 03 315 6328

Waikari Health Centre 03 314 4506

Cheviot Community Health Centre 03 319 8630