Support And Assistance

Support And Assistance

Accommodation/housing support 

If your home is currently unhabitable due to the recent earthquakes. flooding or high winds, please call us on 0800 366 466 to see how we can help support you and your family with temporary accommodation.

If you need temporary accommodation support, contact the Government Helpline on 0800 779 997. 

Someone will work with you to understand your immediate housing needs and what on-going support you will require. In some cases, temporary accommodation may be located for you outside of the region.   

The Ministry of Social Development and the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Environment are working together to provide temporary accommodation support.

Civil Defence

Civil Defence coordinates assistance to communities affected by events. For queries related to roading, water and wastewater, Civil Defence centres or recovery assistance centres, contact your local Civil Defence team at your council.

You can also head to to find your local Civil Defence group.

0800 Government Helpline

You can call the Government Helpline on 0800 779 997 from 7am - 9pm, seven days a week if you:

  • would like assistance
  • are struggling to support yourself, or your family
  • would like more information about how we can help.

Even if you don’t think you’d qualify, please call because there are lots of ways to help, and you can be pointed in the right direction based on your situation. You don’t have to be on a benefit.

Payments may be able to be organised for you over the phone.